About Us

My photo
We are a family of 5 that moved from California to Arizona about 8 years ago. We love it here! We love to watch movies, enjoy the great outdoors when it's not blazing hot, play sports, hike, ride bikes and spend time together! Life is awesome and we wish the same to all of you!

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Running Away From Home

We figured it was inevitable. Every kid threatens their parents once in their lives. That doom and gloom threat that is supposed to make Mom & Dad beg and plead "Oh no, please no. Don't go, please stay. I am so sorry for what I have done. I take it back...." At least that's what we hope our parents would say. Well that is not what transpired the other night. Jenna tucked Conlan in and was saying good-night. She even layed down next to him, read him a story, tucked him in extra tight and blew him kisses. The whole enchilada. He didn't want to go to bed and asked if he could just go down stairs and lay down there with mom and dad. He was told no repeatedly and Jenna explained that if we did that there was no real point in going through the bedtime tradition. He started the wining, crying, complaining and even the "I don't like you's". After a few minutes Jenna turned to go down stairs. We just could not resist sharing this one. Here is what happened:

Conlan: FINE! I am running away from HOME!!! (This was of course screamed at the top of his lungs for emphasis)

Jenna: Oh really. That's too bad. (said in a calm, monotone voice)

Conlan: (Puzzled that Mom didn't freak out) Why?

Jenna: Well first off, I would really miss you. But if you don't want to stay I can understand. I know we have rules that are mean and harsh. And who wants to put up with that? But second off, I feel kind of bad for you. Cause now your going to have to go and get a job, get a car, buy your own food, find a place to live, pay your own bills, and of course you can forget about going to kindergarten and having fun now. There won't be any time for that, you'll be a working boy. I'm just not too sure how you are going to do it. They don't usually give out driver's licenses to people under 16. So you will probably have to walk everywhere and take a bus. And I am not too sure how your are going to get a job cause you usually have to be 16 to get one of those too. Like I said, that's too bad!

Pause. . . silence. . . waiting. . . waiting. . . waiting. . .

Conlan: Night Mom, I'm going to bed now.

Classic! Sometimes we need those little wake up calls in life to help us realize that things are really not as bad as they seem. Needless to say we haven't heard a peep about coming downstairs to sleep again!

2 comments:

Staci Kramer said...

Ah, five year olds! This routine is so familiar. At least they are starting to get to the point where you can reason with them. One day they will appreciate sleep. I keep telling him that I wish someone would tell me to go to bed!

Weeks Family said...

Jenna, that was awesome. I give you props :)I try and reason with Danielle and it doesn't work. lol